Saturday, November 3, 2012

52 Reasons to Hate My Father

Author: Jessica Brody
Pages: 352
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Published Date: July 3, 2012
Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Rating:  ❤❤❤❤❤

Synopsis 
Lexington Larrabee has never to work a day in her life. After all, she’s the heiress to the multi-billion-dollar Larrabee Media empire. And heiresses are not supposed to work. But then again, they’re not supposed to crash brand new Mercedes convertibles into convenience stores on Sunset Blvd either.

Which is why, on Lexi’s eighteen birthday, her ever-absent, tycoon father decides to take a more proactive approach to her wayward life. Every week for the next year, she will have to take on a different low-wage job if she ever wants to receive her beloved trust fund. But if there’s anything worse than working as a maid, a dishwasher, and a fast-food restaurant employee, it’s dealing with Luke, the arrogant, albeit moderately attractive, college intern her father has assigned to keep tabs on her.

In a hilarious “comedy of heiress” about family, forgiveness, good intentions, and best of all, second chances, Lexi learns that love can be unconditional, money can be immaterial, and, regardless of age, everyone needs a little saving. And although she might have 52 reasons to hate her father, she only needs one reason to love him.


Favorite Quote
Because apart we might be as different as night and ay, black and white, right and wrong, but together we create two sides of a whole. Together we balance. ~ 52 Reasons to Hate My Father

Review
How should I begin? This book is just out-of-this-world good. It is a kind of book that you pick up and cannot put down until you finish the last page and wish there were more than just 352 pages. This is how I feel about this book.

Lexi was a spoiled rich girl. A diva. So it was obvious I did not like her much when I began reading the book. Her attitude was so over the top! She did not appreciate how luck she was to have everything she ever wanted. She was rude and over-of-control. To set Lexi straight, her father made her perform in 52 different jobs. Of course she had another choice. She could refuse not to follow what her father had set out for her, but she would lose her 25-million-dollar trust fund.  So yes, Lexi wanted that trust fund; therefore, she had to take on those 52 jobs. The jobs taught Lexi to be more than just another rich, beautiful girl.

Some parts of the book might be a little over the top. Such as the fact that Lexi, except being spoiled, was almost too perfect to be true. She was rich, smart, beautiful and despite her less-than-perfect  behavior, people seemed to like her anyway. Well, it was not a big problem for me though. I enjoyed the book and the way the author told the story was so captivating.

I have always enjoyed the books that are unpredictable and this book is just that. I loved the twist and the ending was just amazing. Oh, how could I forget to mention Luke? He was so adorable. As much as he had helped Lexi get through her "assignment", Lexi also taught him how to enjoy life more. To loosen up a bit. I loved their chemistry. And the fact that it was not another instant love connection like some books I have read recently made it even more interesting to see how they fell in love.

In short, I loved the book! It is well-written with great characters and plots.
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Gisbelle,

Great blog! I've just followed you :)

Cheers,
J.H. Myn
http://jhmyn.blogspot.com

Gisbelle said...

Thanks J.H!

Unknown said...

The first time I ever heard of this book was when you reviewed it on Goodreads and said how amazing it is. I didn't check it out because of the title. I had a wonderful relationship with my father who passed away less than a year ago, so I didn't think I was ready to tackle whatever the subject matter of this book is; however, based on your ravings of it, I have put it on my TBR list and will read it within the next few months.

Gisbelle said...

I thought so at first too Vicki. But this book really is not about "hating" the father. Well, it kinda is, but the point is it is about family trying to mend their relationship. I hope you like it too.

Post a Comment

 
;