Saturday, November 3, 2012

Slammed

Author:
Series: Slammed
Book: 1
Pages: 314
Genre: Contemporary
Published Date: January 5th 2012
Publisher: Colleen Hoover
Rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

Synopsis
Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.


Favorite Quote
"...I wanted to hold onto it forever. I wanted to let her know that she wasn't alone. Whatever burden it was that she was carrying around, I wanted to carry it for her." ~ Slammed

Review
First of, let's give Ms. Colleen Hoover a big round of applause for her amazing work.

I meant to read this book long ago, but hesitated because people told me there were poems in the book. Just so you know, I am not a big fan of poems. Then a few people in Goodreads said I had to read it and read it quick. So since I had nothing to lose, I read the book. And two words... Will Cooper! If you have not read this book, go find a copy now. I read it in one sitting, so you may need a comfortable chair.

Let's start with the poems. I normally yawn when it comes to poem. But boys, this book changes my perspective on poems. The poems in the book were so beautiful that they brought tears to my eyes. They cut me open, took out my heart and stomped on it, and yet I begged for more. Well, metaphorically speaking. You get the idea! My favorite one, beside Lake, is the first poem in the book, Blue Sweater.

 Besides the tear-jerking poems, I loved Layken, aka Lake, and Will. They were a perfect couple. Will was so dreamy. Good-looking, smart, responsible and gentle. He was a complete package. They fell for each other since the first time they set eyes on one another, but their relationship was deeper than physical attraction. I do not mind insta-love, even sometimes I can't help rolling my eyes. However, this book made it romantic and, well, just perfect.

Again, if you have not read it yet, you should read it, like right now! This is a must-read.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of poems either and that's why I've put off reading it too. I'm glad to hear that you liked it anyhow. That makes me feel like maybe I can handle the poems too :) Thanks for the review, Gisbelle!

http://www.fictionsnoop.com/blog/

Gisbelle said...

Thanks Jalynnie! It surprised me too that I loved it this much. I hope you enjoy it as I did.

Post a Comment

 
;