Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Point of Retreat

Author:
Series: Slammed
Book: 2
Pages: 300
Genre: Contemporary
Published Date: February 25 2012
Publisher: Colleen Hoover
Rating: ❤❤

Synopsis
Hardships and heartache brought them together…now it will tear them apart.

Layken and Will have proved their love can get them through anything; until someone from Will’s past re-emerges, leaving Layken questioning the very foundation on which their relationship was built. Will is forced to face the ultimate challenge…how to prove his love for a girl who refuses to stop ‘carving pumpkins.’
 

Review
As much as I loved the first book, Slammed, I have to be honest and say that this book, Point of Retreat, is a disappointment comparing to the first book, which I loved so much. I was so thrilled when I started reading. Who would not? This one was even told from Will's point of view!

This book continued telling the lives of these young lovers after Lake's mother passed away. It was a one-year-later kind of book. I hope it makes sense. Anyway, since this book was told from Will's POV, I began to see Lake for her true self - an immature, annoying girl. There were so many times that I wanted to straggle her for being so irritable.

Let's start with the time Will and Lake had a misunderstanding. She started acting weird. For a 19-year-old girl who was supposed to be the legal guardian of her brother, Lake behaved like a 5year old. Sneaking in to Will's house to get the stars her mother had left her (we'll get to that later), and shoved them in her shirt when she was caught. Please! That was so cheesy.

Another one was after she was discharged from the hospital, part of her hair had been cut/shaved in order for the doctors to do their job saving her freaking life. And she cried for that? Really? That was supposed to be one of the "romantic" part of the book, I presumed, when Will, being a nice, but silly man that he was, cut a part of his hair also to make her feel better. That was so stupid if you ask me. If I were Will, I would have said, "Oh, grow up!"

As for the stars left by Lake's mother for both Will and Lake to turn to when their lives were getting too tough, I found that was so unrealistic whatsoever. It gave advice just like the mother was still alive. Like she saw what was happening.Oh, please! That was too good to be true.

I cannot tell you how many books I have read that adapt similar plot where the girlfriend caught her boyfriend being with another girl, and misunderstood that for cheating. Once I read and found out the author also added Will's ex-girlfriend, Vaughn, it was kind of predictable how the story would go.

I am sure many people will disagree with me. But this is how I felt about the book. I really respect the author for her hard-work. However, Lake was too butterflying annoying!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

No disagreement here. Hell, *I* could have written this because the same things bugged the crap out of me with this book. Slammed was so incredibly good and then....blarg.

The stars, the tantrums...the only eyestrain I got from readin this book was from the continual eye-rolling.

Gisbelle said...

Same here Libbie. Some people told me Lake acted like that because she was supposed to be young. Heck no! 19 year old is not that young. I lost count how many times I rolled my eyes.

Natasha said...

I completely agree with your review! I liked Lake in the first book, then in the second I thought she was terribly annoying. I thought that after Slammed, this book didn't need to be made. I was content ending the story where Slammed ended, but alas, I read this and lost a little of my love for the first book.

Gisbelle said...

I think so too Natasha. I hate that the authors sometimes are trying to hard to turn a standalone into a series. Leave it as it is!

I loved book one so much that I read book two right after I finished it. A huge disappointment.

I am still not so sure if I am going to read book 3.

Post a Comment

 
;