Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Boys Like You by Juliana Stone

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley

Author: Juliana Stone
Genre: Young Adult | Contemporary
Release Date: May 6th 2014 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Rating: ❤❤❤❤
Read: April 1, 2014

Synopsis
One mistake.
 

And everything changes.

For Monroe Blackwell, one small mistake has torn her family apart –leaving her empty and broken. There’s a hole in her heart that nothing can fill. That no one can fill. And a summer in Louisiana with her Grandma isn’t going to change that…

Nathan Everets knows heartache first-hand when a car accident leaves his best friend in a coma. And it’s his fault. He should be the one lying in the hospital. The one who will never play guitar again. He doesn’t deserve forgiveness, and a court-appointed job at the Blackwell B&B isn’t going to change that…

Captivating and hopeful, this achingly poignant novel brings together two lost souls struggling with grief and guilt – looking for acceptance, so they can find forgiveness.


My Thoughts
A book about two broken-soul teenagers, Monroe and Nathan, being tormented by their pasts, trying to find a way to help each other get through it all...

To be honest, even it was not a bad read, there wasn't much about this book that made it special. There are way too many books out there with so much similar plots as this one. I really have no idea how many books I have read that have been about remorseful/broken people helping each other live again, trying to redeem themselves and whatnot. Therefore, I have to say that I wasn't impressed.

It was a decent book, anyway. The characters were nice; though, I wasn't too keen on perfect characters. Based on the descriptions from the book, they both were absolutely perfect, living picture-perfect lives if their broken souls were not mentioned. Hard to say, this is not the only book with perfect characters, so I think I can let that slide.

As for the romance, I don't think I was into that much either. While it was sweet (a little bit cheesy) and all, it felt a little too fast for me. They moved from barely saying more than a few sentences to completely in love in just a few weeks.

The writing and the pace were okay, I guess. It wasn't neither draggy nor too fast-paced. However, the story was not that realistic in my idea, which did disappoint me
a little since I was really psyched about reading it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;